Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What a weekend!

Things did not go as planned last weekend. I thought my holiday mini preorder would have arrived on Friday or Saturday but it didn't arrive until yesterday (Monday)! I was frantically trying to get my swaps done for a for a demo meeting and didn't have the time I wanted to be creative with it. The result is more plain and simple but as my friend Casey reminded me, that's the point- to Keep It Simple, Silly (aka KISS). And hey, if it's simple it will more easily be demonstrated in classes which is the point in demo swaps. Here's the swap:


It uses the new stamp set Season of Friendship which I fell n love with the first moment I saw it! The set is very versatile because it comes with different stamps for each season. Our swap assignment was to create a card for one of the upcoming holidays- Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas. I figured there wouldn't be many Thanksgiving cards and hopefully that will be the case.

Supplies: Season of Friendship stamp set; chocolate chip and more mustard cardstock; chocolate chip, more mustard and really rust ink. All Stampin' Up! products.


A few years ago, while our men went to the Priesthood Session of General Conference, my sister and I got together and made "eyeball cupckaes". She had the idea that we should start a tradition for the women in the family to get together and do some sort of craft/activity while the men are away being edified. We didn't do anything last year but after attending SU!'s convention I knew I wanted to be sure to get together this next conference. There were quite a few awesome holiday ideas but a fair number of them are not cost-appropriate. There is one project, by Carrie Cudney, that might work. She purchased a glass plate at walmart and created paper "discs" for each holiday. You change these discs when the new holiday is coming up. The plate at walmart was on sale for $1 (regularly $1.50) so I'm thinking each of my sisters can create a simple yet darling project that is good for every holiday for under $5 (my best guess). How awesome is that? This is what I created late Friday night. It's not my favorite and it may not be what we actually do, but it has potential nonetheless.


Here's another picture, close up of the skyline:


This used a few retired things: the pumpkin patch spectrum ink pad and the spooky skyline wheel. There is a new wheel in the holiday mini which could work really well (makes me wish I had ordered it and I still might!) and you can create a similar sky effect with ink pads, a brayer and some sponges.

My goal was to also create a disc for Thanksgiving and Christmas for my sisters to see and decide if it's something they would like to make. Hopefully I can find time to create some more Wednesday night.

One of the highlights of the weekend was having my old roommate, Nisha and her boyfriend, Tim over for dinner. I made Thai Peanut Chicken, a recipe I received from my sister. When my sister, Angie, made it for Ben and I it was absolutely delicious and I craved it for weeks afterward. I still haven't mastered it (which is silly because it really isn't that difficult of a recipe) but even still it is amazing. Here's the recipe:

Thai Peanut Chicken

Dressing
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup oil (I use olive, but any will do)
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/8 cup soy sauce

Chicken
1 lb chicken, cubed
3/4 cup carrots
3/4 cup onion, diced
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp peanut butter
8 oz angel hair pasta
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

Garnishments- optional
Peanuts
Lime
Cilantro

Directions:
Mix ingredients for dressing. Use 1/4 cup to marinate the chicken and marinate 3 hours.

Cook chicken. Drain of excess liquid and brown the meat. Cook vegetables until tender. Add to chicken. Add honey, peanut butter and red pepper flakes to remaining dressing. Cook Pasta. Mix everything together. Garnish with cilantro and peanuts as well as squeeze lime juice over the dish, if desired.

Yummy! The peanut sauce is to die for!

Thats all for now! Take Care!

2 comments:

Aubri said...

Yeah! Fun Fun Fun! Look at you all crafty and cooking...awesome! I love your background...so cute!

dcprattfamily said...

I'm so glad you started a blog. I love to read what other people are up to, plus I'm really excited you are posting your card ideas. Halloween is my favorite time to make card crafts, and I need some ideas!!